Frequently Asked Questions

If I am a student or from a department of the University of Texas, do I need to ask permission to use a trademark?

Yes, it is important for the university to protect the trademarks and controlling their use will maintain their value. To start the request process, visit "Process for Approval" in the menu bar.


If the item being purchased has no reference to the university, e.g. no colors, building images, names or trademarks, do I still need to have a licensed vendor produce my product?

No. If there is a question regarding a design, we suggest that it be submitted to the Office of Brand, Trademarks and Licensing before you have it produced. You can do this by emailing the request/design to


If my product is not going to be resold, do I still have to select a licensed vendor?

All items bearing university marks must be produced by a licensed vendor whether they are for resale or not.


Are any requests exempt from royalties?

Generally, royalties are due for items being sold or being given away that have a ‘generic” design (example: arched Texas with Longhorn silhouette). However, each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


What does the University of Texas do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?

Merchandise produced without authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing and subject to all available legal remedies. These items will be pulled from the marketplace.


What should I do if I find merchandise that I believe is not licensed?

First look to see if the merchandise has either a licensed hologram sticker or tag. If no hologram, then provide as much information as possible to


How can I get a logo registered?

University Entities Only
 - Review the Trademark Registration process and complete the questionnaire to begin the process.


Are there fees to become/maintain a license?

Yes. There is an advance fee that may vary depending on the school(s) you apply for, as well as a one-time application fee, and an annual renewal fee. Learn more on the Learfield Licensing Partners page or the Learfield Licensing application. A royalty rate is based upon the total gross invoice amounts billed (“Net Sales”). The royalty rate is 12 percent for all UT System schools, except UT Austin. The royalty rate for UT Austin is 15 percent.


Are campus entities able to acknowledge corporations that have contributed to a campus event, project, etc.?

Yes. It is possible to acknowledge corporations for their support, providing there is no logo usage and no mention of product or services of that corporate entity. The company name should be the same size, color, typeface as the rest of the statement.


How long do requests usually take to process?

Typically, the review process can take 3–5 working days. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis to ensure compliance with UT System policies.


How can I obtain a list of licensees?

Lists of approved vendors for all UT campuses (except UT Austin) can be found here. Search for the school name and save the PDF. Log-in to the internal request portal to review licensed vendors available to UT Austin.


What are the registered marks of The University of Texas System?

Each UT System institution has its own trademarks with specific guidelines on how they should be portrayed. To view the registered marks of UT Austin, visit Protected Marks.


Can I alter a mark?

No. Altering a mark would hurt its integrity. This would dilute the strength and value of the mark.


Do I have to use the ™ or ® on my merchandise or materials?

Trademark law commentators unanimously recommend that proper trademark designation symbols (i.e. the “®” if the mark is registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and the “™” if the mark is not so registered) be used to enhance the protectibility of the marks and to take full advantage of trademark laws. These symbols serve as notice to the public that trademark rights are asserted in the marks protected by the university.

Use of the proper trademark designation symbols can serve as evidence in litigation.  If the university has not required third parties to use the proper symbols for marks that have been registered, the university may be precluded from recovering profits and damages unless it can be established that the defendant had actual notice of the university’s registrations.

Learfield Licensing requires by contract that all licensees affix the proper trademark designation symbols adjacent to the mark. By requiring licensees to use the symbols, the university is able to enhance the protectibility of its marks as the licensees are acknowledging that the university does in fact have certain rights in its marks.